Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Mama's Hamburger Hot Dish / Casserole

There is no need to go out for good food is there? Yes I do love having people waiting on me but I also love the comfort food we can make at home. Best of all we are keeping the $$ in our pocket. That is even more of a comfort to this lady.
Tonight's dinner is my mama's Hot Dish. We call it a hot dish in this part of the country, other parts call it a casserole. I will never forget the first time I told my east coast son in law I was making a hot dish. He had no idea what I was talking about. After explaining to him what a hot dish was, he said that is a casserole and looked at me like I was from another planet. Then of course there is the pop/soda conversation with him. Gotta love that guy.






It is cold outside but warm inside with the oven on. Last night for dinner we had one of the old standards. Hamburger Hot Dish my mama's way.

Super easy with just browning the hamburger and boiling some pasta. After degrease the hamburger add tomato soup to both the hamburger and pasta then mix together. Mama always fried up onions with her hamburger but I was out. We used a little onion powder, some salt and pepper.

At this point I differ from mama and add some cheese to my hamburger and pasta combination. All I had in the house last night was a little Velveeta and some Havarti cheese so put a little of each in.


We baked at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour and dinner is on. Simple, easy but comfy food during the winter.



What a thrifty dinner.
1 1/2 pounds of hamburger $3.00 bought on sale for $1.99 a pound
2 cups of pasta $1.00
3 cans of Campbells tomato soup $1.50 I bought on sale at 50 cents a can (used a coupon so really less than 50 cents a can
spices pennies
Total cost for Hamburger Hot dish/Casserole $5.50
This can easily feed 6 people or the 2 of us 2 dinners and 1 lunch.

I will be sharing this at
Hearth and Soul
Slightly Indulgent Tuesday

Who is Laura
Healthy Home
A Beautiful Mess
Mouth Watering Monday
Tuesday Twister
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Tuesdays At The Table
Delicious Dishes
Anti Procrastination Tuesday
Tasty Tuesday
Tuesday Night Supper Club
Menu Inspiration Monday
Menu Plan Monday
Hunk Of Meat Monday
Tidy Mom
Thursday Life As Mom
Grocery Cart Callenge

Want to thank you for stopping by.. maybe leave a comment letting me know you were here and lets keep saving our $$ together... Grace

4 comments:

  1. Love this idea. I have frozen beef in the freezer and this will be a great go to meal. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, very cost friendly. I've never heard of a casserole being called a hot dish though!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe looks great! Thanks for sharing.

    Melissa
    http://readingnks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your post. I'm a native Easterner living in Texas. We always called this dish, "Goolash" and if we had a carbonated drink with it, you're right....we call it "pop"! Please visit my blog if you have a chance. I'm sharing a family punch recipe today.

    ReplyDelete