Monday, November 22, 2010

Tonight's Soups On ... Cheese Soup .. Saving Money Eating At Home

With winter settling in, hubby and I are attempting to make a pot of soup weekly. We have made Pea soup, Creamy Cheese Potato soup and Chicken Noodle with Veggies. Not only does it warm up the house and our tummys but it can be an easy on the budget meal.

While we lived in Richmond, Texas for 15 months we would occasionally visit a restaurant called Maggie McGee's.
They had the best Broccoli Cheese Soup. I was happy just to have a bowl of that with some small crusty garlic bread they gave to you when you were seated .
The restaurant was suppose to be haunted. I was forever hoping to spot the resident ghost, but never did.


Last night I thought I would try a Cheese Soup recipe. I am not a big broccoli lover so we did not have any broccoli in the house. I decided to try a recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. It called for carrots and celery and onions instead of the broccoli. If I put carrots in again, they will be diced even smaller than I did this time.

The soup was okay but not what I wanted. It was not any where near what I got at Maggie McGee's. I will continue to hunt for Cheese Soup recipes until I find the perfect one. The one in Texas had a slight peppery taste.

I will give you the recipe I used from the Better Homes and Gardens
Cookbook. It is a start that can be added to, until I find the recipe that I just have to have in my recipe binder.

Cheese Soup

1 cup finely chopped carrot

1 cup finely chopped celery

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

1 3/4 cups of chicken broth

2 cups of milk

1/ cup of all purpose flour

Dash paprika

1 cup of shredded American Cheese

In medium saucepan combine carrot,a href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiGUz_EYehJ5zB7N6x0R6fKMXrNJORuF_P3gnY1iOPlkwsfzp2GVSShAjX8Xb5oKf3Ot2htMNJnEon4GHfh_AtUzFriNnfFEUHCSlo0oGadj0yC8ffFY3NlMDtFGoHOLZlLM2U0nh9eDLg/s1600/001.JPG">

celery and onion, add chicken broth.
Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover, simmer for 15 minutes or till vegetables are done.
Combine milk, flour,paprika, and dash of salt.
Have dear hubby stir milk and flour mixture into chicken broth.
Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Add cheese,
stirring till melted.
Makes 4 to 6 cup servings or in our house about 3 bowls. I love these bowls that I use for my soup and chili .. they belonged to my mom and dad.

Hope that you have a wonderful Tuesday as we move nearer to the big Thanksgiving Day. Please take a moment and view some of my other postings.. and I hope that you will visit again soon... Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment