Monday, January 3, 2011

Cheesy Lasagna Soup .. Boy Is This Good Hubby Says



Well tonight I gave a new recipe a try and it passed the hubby test. Well they normally do pass the test. He ate three bowls of Cheesy Lasagna soup tonight. Small bowls so not horrible of an amount. To this we added warm slices of garlic bread.

I found this recipe in a Betty Crocker recipe book " Soup, Chili and Bread " January 1996. Soup is pictured on the cover and had me from the day I bought this used somewhere.

Finally had to give it a try. I will give you the recipe from the book and the add my few changes.

Cheesy Lasagna Soup

1 pound of ground beef
1 medium onion ( I used only a fourth of an onion)
2 green peppers cut into 1 inch pieces ( No green peppers here)
2 gloves of garlic finely chopped
4 cups of water
2 cans of diced tomatoes in garlic and spices undrained (14 oz each)
1 (6 oz ) can of tomato paste
2 cups of mafalda ( mini lasagna noodles pasta) I used Farfalle
1 T packed brown sugar
1 1/2 t Italian seasonings
1/4 t pepper
1 1/2 cups of Italian style croutons ( I did not have any in the house)
1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese ( I had shredded Parmesan cheese and did not want to go out.)
Cook beef, onion, bell peppers, and garlic in Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown and onion is tender; drain. Stir in water, diced tomatoes and tomato paste until blended. Stir in remaining ingredients except croutons and cheese.




Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes stirring occasionally until pasta is tender.




I do not cook my pasta this way. I rather cook separately and then add and simmer in soup.

Recipe calls for you to put it in oven proof bowls or casseroles . Top with croutons and cheese and broil with tops 3 to 4 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes till cheese is melted.

I just added the cheese and it melted okay for us. We added a little salt at the table.





Like I said hubby loved it, I loved it and he requested that we make it real often.
I am sharing this at
Thanks for stopping by... hope that you return again real soon... Grace

8 comments:

  1. Boy, does this sound good! I need to try this one soon! Thank you for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We would love your soup. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried that but it sounds like a winner!

    I'd love for you to stop by What's Cooking Wednesday to share one of you great recipes! It'll go live tonight and is every week! http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/search/label/What%27s%20Cooking%20Wednesday

    Hope to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Booked marked this to try real soon. THanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Would like to invite you over to Fat Camp Friday @ Mangoes and Chutney. The linky is up all weekend and one blogger from the linky party is featured every Wednesday. http://www.mangoesandchutney.com/2011/01/fat-camp-friday-10-blackened-tilapia.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this tonight. Delicious! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up to TDT last week. Your link will be featured in this Thursday's post. Please feel free to grab my "featured on" button. And of course, I'd love to have you link up again this week!

    Wendy
    Around My Family Table

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect comfort food!
    http://www.inspired2cook.com/

    ReplyDelete