Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Beef and Green Chili Enchildas What's For Dinner



Why go out to eat Mexican when it can be made at home for so much less? Hubby and I love Enchiladas a lot and when we go out to eat it is usually Mexican. But it can be fairly pricey. Normally at least $10.00 a plate so $20.00 for the two of use.

So on the menu for this week I wanted to try a recipe I found on line at Betty Crocker. Of course I have to change it to fit our taste and it turned out fantastic.

Beef and Green Chili Enchiladas

1 pound of lean ground beef 85 percent $3.70 ( not on sale of course gotta watch for sale)
1/4 of a medium onion chopped fine 15 cents
1/2 cup of sour cream 70 cents
1 (4.5 oz) can of chopped green chilies 75 cents
2 cups of shredded colby- monterey jack cheese $1.50
1 (10 oz) can of Enchilada sauce $1.89
6 flour tortillas 55 cents

add shredded cheese, tomatoes and additional sour cream if desired

Total cost $7.74 and if I had bought the hamburger on sale I could of save almost $2.00 less.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In non stick skilled brown ground beef and onion over medium heat until thoroughly cooked, stirring often. Drain grease. Add sour cream, green chilies and 1 cup of shredded cheese.





2. Spread about 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce bottom of 13 by 9 baking dish. ( I still have not bought one so I have to use 2 smaller baking dishes). Spread about 2 teaspoons of enchilada sauce on each tortilla. Top each with some beef mixture and a dab of re fried beans ( if desired and I do). Roll up the tortillas; place seam side down over sauce in baking dish.










3. Drizzle remaining enchilada sauce evenly over filled tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Spray sheet of foil with cooking spray, place sprayed sheet down on top of baking dish and seal tightly.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Served garnished .





These were as good as I have bought out at restaurants. I bought 6 inch tortillas on sale so ours were smaller. I made 6 enchiladas. We shared 3 and will share the other 3 later this week.
AND I had enough meat sauce and enchiladas sauce left to make 3 to 4 more. This I put in the freezer for a quick dinner another night. Hubby I will get 3 meals for the $7.74.
I served this with re fried beans and tortilla chips.

My sweet hubby loved it and must of told me 6 times how good it was. Even as he fell asleep I heard it one more time. But he does love his food and loves Mexican a lot.
I will be sharing this at the following sites this week.. check out what others are cooking.
Thanks for stopping by... lets keep saving together and please remember never under estimate the value of a small amount of money.

3 comments:

  1. We are big fans of enchiladas too and this recipe looks wonderful. I love the pics, all that gooey, melted cheese. I bet these could be made into chicken enchiladas too (for more money of course). Thank you so much for sharing with Cookbook Sundays and I hope you have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy and delicious, just what I like! I just made chicken enchiladas but would love to add these to our menu soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm! I love enchiladas!!!
    http://www.inspired2cook.com/

    ReplyDelete