Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Saved Quarter Week 1


Over at Saved Quarter there is a Challenge to build our savings. Some want to save a quarter of their income. Some are looking for ways to save or make money so they do not have to dip into their savings account during rough spots.
What ever our goals may be the most important thing is to save what money we can. To build our emergency fund and pay off our debt.
To know where we want to be ... we need to know where we are right now.

The first important thing to do is to make a budget.

They say you should pay yourself first. This is nice if it is possible. For us and many others that just is not a possiblity.
Our budget is so tight that do have enough at the end of the month to do what we have to. We draw the line and then work to make more money.. mainly selling on eBay or amazon. Our main this to sell is books or what ever may catch our eye.

Our food budget is below the national average for 2 senior citizens.

We pay for our own health insurance with hubby being on medicare and paying his supplement and I am not 65 years old so I pay my own health insurance. Health insurance takes 1/3 of our income.

The only way that I can save any money is to sell on eBay which we have done since 1998 to suppliment our income.

This week I was able to sell an item for $75.00.

From this amount plus what I had in my pay pal account already

I paid eBay $20.00 what we owed this month plus a little extra

I paid $13.00 for my year on line refundcents membership.

After all that had $62.00 left.

I sent $30.00 to savings and kept $32.00 for hunting for more to sell on eBay.

Not a lot of money saved but will come in handy if it is needed to pay bills.
If not needed will go for my first goal of $1,000 emergency fund.

And as I always say..

never under estimate the value of a small amount of money. So I am pleased to put anything into savings.

Take a look at what others are doing to save money over at Saved Challenge
Thanks for stopping by... lets keep saving together Grace

1 comment:

  1. What is refundcents?

    Sounds like you're working hard to make all of your ends meet. Health insurance is sure a budget killer!

    If you miss last week's Saved Quarter Challenge post, you can always catch this week's post to add your link up. :)

    ReplyDelete